Monday 6 May 2013

Canada #3 - Vancouver


Vancouver, where to begin? Possibly one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited. The place is a miracle of diversity, with a bustling downtown district, national park, miles of beaches and a vista of the mountains all within convenient walking distance. And to top it off, incredible food and shopping. I want to live here. Might have to start selling organs to get here though. Bids of a kidney start at one high rise apartment, takers?

My time here was a blur of meandering downtown, window shopping and completely failing to blend in to crowds of the yolo generation bedecked in branded footwear. That said, the downtown area loved my Game of Thrones shirt. I had smiles, exclamations of joy and even a rocker throwing up the horns in glee. Probably a good thing I wasn't wearing a Greyjoy shirt, otherwise I'd likely have been shanked. 

I took a walking tour around Stanley Park, an area of astounding natural beauty. I even learnt a new exercise regime - apparently, walking slowly around and drinking Starbucks counts as a work out if one wears Lulu Lemon. I call it the YiPPE (Yoga Pants, Ponder, Entitlement) regime. 
Another hard day of walking around an area of woodland, taking photos and posing in a hollow tree. Apparently that's a thing. I returned for seem excellent food in the downtown area, before strolling to Gastown. 

It's a historic (for N. America) part of the city featuring a large steam powered clock and an old fashioned feel. Additionally, some of the best coffee I've ever tasted, in a place filled with thirty-somethings in powersuits, furiously jabbing at tablet devices. Lovely area though, loved the architecture. And the pizza, forged in the flames of a homemade wood fired oven.

Whilst thumbing through a hip free paper I found in a bin, I found the local events happening that week. After a few pages of comedians from that show everyone loves and indie bands moodily glaring at me from fringes, something caught my eye. Apparently the 8th International Vancouver Burlesque Festival was performing at a local theatre. Eager to participate in the local culture, I booked tickets at the gloriously vaudeville local theatre. 

This turned into one of the most enjoyable evenings out I've experienced. And it was an experience. Being MC'd by a rapping dancer in a ball gown, the night spiralled from classical burlesque with feather dances, to an interpretative dance of "The Wanted" by a banker and her dancing monkey, an intriguing take on the costume from "The Fifth Element", 60s go-go dancers, cannibals dragging a screaming man off stage, a broken clockwork prostitute dumped, literally, by a Russian mobster, relationship advice, with the evening capped off by a dancer portraying an overdose of meth followed by a group bow. I'm not sure what to make of what I just saw, but I think I love burlesque now. 

Followed by all this excitement, I enjoyed an excellent shawarma and hockey play off lesson in a Persian restaurant, relaxed in the beautiful Vancouver library and ate pastries in every bakery that caught my eye. Vancouver is a place of extremes. One second you're enjoying espresso and small talking with shop assistants, then you're stepping over puddles you hope are water and touring scuzzy sex shops. Not the Ann Summers type places, but the actual skid row establishments one associates with dystopian films like Blade Runner. On a Friday night, I walked down a street of clubs where glamorous girls in 10 inch heels teetered out of Ferraris and stretch limos, to a street of live peep shows and prostitutes on the street corner. And my iPod hadn't even shuffled.  

Vancouver. Amazing city, it's a shame to leave. Vibrant culture, great museums and the perfect place to visit. I definitely want to return, with a much fatter wallet, and attempt to take afternoon tea in every cafe in the city. Which should only take a couple of lifetimes. Onward to Victoria, and even more fantastic Asian food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment